Friday, April 2, 2010

Saint Simon

I'm back in one piece. Nobody got murdered by drug cartels while I was in Mexico.

In a botanica in The Mission district, back in San Fransisco, I came across a figurine of San Simon. El Hermano San Simon. Maximon (pronounced "Mashimon")

I went straight for the little guy, completely intrigued by the only saint wearing modern (mid last century at least) clothing.
Moustached and handsome, a smart black suit, red tie and fedora, sitting on a chair with a bag of coins in one hand and a flag in another.
The Espiritualista behind the counter told me his name but couldn't elaborate as my Spanish is non existent (for shame senor Montero, for shame) but since our meeting (the higher powers were gracious hosts and introduced us in polite and cosmic manner) in that little shop I have discovered that this dashing deity is a saint of the hopeless, the gamblers, the drunkards and a symbol of male sexual power.

San Simon/Maximon is actually a pre Colombian Mayan pagan god of the underworld who the missionaries tried to turn into a bad guy by casting him as Judas! The plan backfired as the locals saw Judas as a hero for handing out the gold coins that he earned by snitching on Jesus to the needy and impoverished.

So he has a dark side. Like all of us. The whole yin and the yang thing that Catholicism and Christianity really has a problem with. If only they could learn to pull the release valve every now and then, right out in the open then they wouldn't need to do it behind closed doors. Then our spiritual crop would grow strong and healthy. I don't want or need to get into a religious rant here because I have no religious background for which to rebel against.

I sit here recovering from jet lag. Recovering from getting off the plane and heading straight for my empty house (which we all have been kicked out of! I ran around my room throwing things into bags and boxes and getting rotten drunk while two landlords stood over me) and I've lit my San Simon candle. I've bought him wine and chocolate and a yellow candle (yellow for the protection of loved ones...but only because I can't find green for prosperity, red for love or black for revenge. Which colour for money?) and I've made a prayer for myself.

I'm so glad that I've met you El Hermano San Simon. These drinks tonight will be for you.

Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment